News from around the web.
Go to Source
A free update for Family Tree Maker 2012 (Windows) is now available. It contains a number of improvements and fixes of reported issues including:
- Improvements to TreeSync performance and stability
- Added support for media, notes, and sources during file merges
- Improved handling of media during Web merges
- Bug fixes for tasks, media items, and window resizing issues (on computers running Windows 7)
When you open Family Tree Maker, you should be notified that an update is available. If this doesn’t happen, please visit the KnowledgeBase for instructions on manually downloading and installing the update.
This update includes a variety of new features and even a new report.
Merge for Duplicate Facts
If you have multiple versions of the same fact, you can merge them together.
New Source Templates
Source templates for the 1940 U.S. census have been added and there is improved support for city directories.
More Support for Blended Families
When you add a spouse for an individual, now you can indicate whether he or she is also the parent of the individual’s children.
In a relationship chart, an individual’s father and mother will both be included at the top of the page; shortened place names can be used; and, fonts are resized automatically so text won’t be cut off.
- Family View Report – This new report lets you display an individual’s ancestors, spouse, and children together (similar to the Family View in the People workspace).
- Calendars – You can change the font size for events.
- Data Errors Report – A new option lets you include only preferred facts.
- Documented Facts Report – New options let you include or exclude source citation notes and include only preferred facts.
- Family Group Sheet – An image that is linked to an individual can be displayed at the top of the report. Also, spacing and labels have been improved.
- Individual Report – A new note indicates when a couple has no children together. Also, there are new options that let you include an individual’s life span in the summary and add the summary to all pages.
- Media Item Report – A new option lets you include or exclude notes and links.
- Media Usage Report – A new option lets you include captions, dates, descriptions, categories, and notes. Also, media images are resized based on amount of descriptive info that is included.
- Notes Report – Notes can flow across page breaks.
- Photo Album – Improved spacing when including dates and descriptions.
- Undocumented Facts Report – A new option lets you include only preferred facts.
- Improved speed when generating reports that include notes and/or sources.
- Saved charts and reports are listed alphabetically.
- The person you’re currently viewing will be selected now when you open the Filter Individuals list.