Notes for William M. MANLEY
William worked with his father at the family-run Bellaire wharf and wharf boat. From the wharf, he built up a substantial business taking sand from the shores of the Ohio River and selling it to the construction and steel industries around Bellaire. The advent of truck haulage in the 20th century ultimately spelled the end in importance of the wharf.
The family lived at 215 31st Street. During the 1870s, he sold groceries and provisions from this site.
William was a director of the Belmont Savings & Loan, member of St. John's Catholic Church, and a member of the Knights of Columbus Lodge. He served as a delegate to the city convention for the Democratic party during numerous elections during the 1870s and 1880s. During the late 1910s, he was a Trustee of the Sinking Fund for Bellaire and was a Commissioner of the Tax Board. He was an active buyer and seller of real estate in Bellaire.
According to the naturalization document, he came to the United States in 1854.
He is listed as the president of West Wheeling Ferry Co., wharf master and real estate, foot 29th and residing at 215 31st Street. Wm Manley and Son (John L) also was in the sand and gravel business
| HOME | EMAIL | SURNAMES |
Page built by Gedpage Version 2.21 ©2009 on 02 August 2010